Review Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

Review Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

Synopsis: In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from
Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.
Rating: 2/5 stars
Genres: Dystopia, Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Romance, Fairytale Retelling
Recommended for: die-hard fans of the series
Previous books in the series:
 
Scarlet                                                         Cress
 
Following books in the series:
Winter

My thoughts:

The Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite series. I love the gorgeous spin on the fairytales, the strong heroine, the complex and mesmerizing world and the swoony guys. With that being said, I'm sorry to add that I hated Fairest. Not because of the writing style, since it was pretty much top-notch as always coming from Marissa Meyer, and certainly not because of the way the story was told.
“Love is a conquest! Love is war!”
It's because I'm disgusted. I'm disgusted with a character as I've never been and if I cannot somehow find a tiny bit of something to love in the MC, then I'm done. Call it my necessity -- I can deal with no romance, with cliché outcomes and even with unoriginal plotlines, but I cannot, for the love of God, stand characters so self-centered and just plain stupid as Levana.
Levana is such a manipulative bitch -- excuse my language, but there's really not another word to describe this. She thinks she's the best and that she deserves the sun and the moon, that there's no way she can be bettered by anyone else. And for that, surprisingly, I pity her -- because she's an immature child, plain and simple. She's naive and arrogant and sick in the head. No, not naive -- OBLIVIOUS. Selfish. Obsessed. And in no way conscious of how love and friendship and joy feels like. It's sad really, but pretty goddamn pull-out-my-hair-frustrating for my reading experience.
 
“Are you still waiting for me to fall in love with you?”
It's one thing to be a self-absorbed brat and a whole other thing to couple that with being a heartless, cold and vicious killer. Which she is. Also a down-right insane one. She showed some (or possibly the only existent part) of her "humanity" in the last part and I thought that maybeee that'll be the bit of redemption I need to see her in a different light, but then she drowned it out with choices that made my stomach turn and only hate her more.
“Levana had not seen the bodies, but she had seen the bedrooms the next morning, and her first thought was that all that blood would make for a very pretty rouge on her lips.”
If you're able to survive the cruel manipulations and power hunger, than I guess you'll somewhat enjoy this prequel. I believe you'll be able to appreciate the good aspects of the story: Evret, a kind and courageous man that didn't deserve any of the suffering he endured; Sol, the soft-hearted woman that didn't receive the happy-ending she should've got; Channary, a person so cruel that makes you perceive Levana as a harmless kitty, but one that brings the story full circle; the plotlines that explained in depth the whys, the whats, the hows and the whos we kept asking ourselves during the main series; and most especially the heartwarming and gut-wrenching renderings of Cinder, Winter and Jacin Clay whom I can't wait to get to know better. I fell in love with these kiddos and I cannot wait to meet up again with them in Winter.
I for once will stick to hating the Levana I know from TLC, because at least there she somehow evolves. What I just said is kinda strange, but I'll take world-domineering wars over petty seducing of a kind man any day. But I never ever ever want to be inside Levana's head again. This being said, it's your choice if you truly want to read this book. I'm not going to truly recommend it, but I definitely won't say not to read it. It's kind of a hit and miss -- for me it was a miss and although I'm deeply disappointed and dissatisfied, if that's Levana stripped down to her core, then I guess I have more motives to support Cinder and her crew in their battle against Her Royal Highness of Evil.
 
Now give me Winter.
ENJOY! <3

0 comentarii: