Review Never Never: Part 2 by Colleen Hover & Tarryn Fisher

Review Never Never: Part 2 by Colleen Hover & Tarryn Fisher


Synopsis: “Never forget that I was your first real kiss. Never forget that you’ll be my last.
And never stop loving me between all of them.
Never stop, Charlie.
Never forget.”

Silas races against time as more truths unravel, while others twist tighter together. And now, the stakes are higher as Silas’ control slips and others begin to point fingers. Charlie is in trouble and he must be the one to bridge the chasm between their past and their present. Because somewhere between I love yous and Never Nevers and Never Agains, a truth they can't imagine, beckons to be found.

“Where are you, Charlie?”
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Romance
Previous books:
 
My thoughts:
I always get surprised when someone says they didn't know there was a sequel in the works for a certain book or the fact that they didn't know how many installments a series has. That never happened to me, because Goodreads and I are basically BFFs.
Until now, of course. And what a perfect timing for it to happen! Nahhh, it couldn't have been when I would like a gorgeous book to have a follow-up. No, no, that would've been a blasphemy. It just had to happen when I expected closure and a reasonable explanation for the previous book.
There's a part 3, people. There's a part 3. And the fact that I read this second novella without knowing that little, small and incredibly IMPORTANT detail, pretty much ensured I would be drowned in a sea of shock, frustration and anger once I read the glorious words "To be continued".
I don't really know what to say about the plot, because there's barely been any development. There were two things I liked: Silas' letters and Landon's involvement (the guy's reaction is truly awesome). Besides that, the book was a dozen shades of meh compared to the first one. I'm not saying Never Never was extraordinary (because it was a far cry from that), but it surely topped this pathetic attempt at a continuation.
And that was another thing: we spend more time in the past reading letters and notes instead of putting the tasks at hand into motion. Sure, from Silas' point of view, he needs a way to grasp the basic notions of his own life and the best (and only) way to do that is to take a ride down memory lane with their help. But from the readers' point of view, from my point of view, that option was a ticket for boredom land and the unknown stopped being mysterious and slowly became infuriatingly tiring.
That's the thing with the amnesia concept being played out too many times -- it's fun once but while the characters try to find out the same info every time it happens, the readers are already aware of it, creating a discrepancy that threatens the initial excitement.
Don't expect a sudden revelation for why the events from the first book took place. Don't expect more details about their situation. Don't expect much of anything, really. I guess that was actually my mistake -- the fact that I had expectations. If it's possible, add even more strange things (the shrimp, the voodoo witch) that will leave you in a daze. I was totally dumbfounded after I finished reading it.
It pains me to say this, but I think Colleen and Tarryn do a better job by writing separately. I know what their minds are capable of creating and Never Never, although imaginative to no end, is so far from their extraordinary previous works. But who knows? Maybe they'll make my jaw drop in the third part (that hopefully it's also the last), because I will definitely read it regardless of these bumps I keep hitting with the story. I mean seriously, I'd become insane if after all this trouble and waiting I wouldn't find out some answers in the end.
But hell hath no fury like Andreea tricked into believing there's actually an explanation, so there better be one.
I'd say wait for the next part to come out before picking this up. That way, even if you're not satisfied with the story being dragged so much, you'll have the next one close by. If you haven't started Never Never at all, run to the library to pick the authors' individual books or if you reallyyyy want to read this one, wait till all parts have been published. I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it, since I'm pretty iffy about it myself, but it's a curious concoction of mystery, intrigue, secrets, love that appeals to certain people. Perhaps you'll be among them.
ENJOY! <3

0 comentarii: