Review The Heir (The Selection #4) by Kiera Cass

Review The Heir (The Selection #4) by Kiera Cass

Synopsis: Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.


Rating: 2.75/5 Stars
Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Dystopia, Fantasy
Previous books in the series:

My thoughts:
Oh, shizz. I forgot to review this one. I read it like what, almost two months ago? Well that wouldn't be important if it weren't for the fact that I barely remember what happened. And after only two months that shouldn't happen if this book is truly worth the time.
As much as it pains me to say it -- since I loved The Selection and Maxon was the epitome of asdfghjkl -- The Heir was not a memorable book and definitely not necessary. We had an end to a story full of ups and downs and it was a good end. I was exhausted by the drama, but satisfied. However, The Heir was just like endlessly milking the cow -- and that itself says tons coming from a fan.
I honestly think that no matter how much time would pass, I would never forget Eadlyn. She's empowering, all right. And yeah, she's determined. Those two traits are usually enough to make me love and support a character. But you wanna know what other traits she possesses? Well, firstly, Eadlyn's so self-centered you'll be amazed. She's spoiled and aggravating. She's a total drama queen and dare I say it, bitch in the making. I was never in my life so disappointed in a fictional couple's parenting skills.
“I loved my dad.
But I also loved myself.
And I would have to live with me much longer.”
Next think that we should be discussing: the plot. Or the lack of it mostly. The gist of it is basically the same as in the Selection: a contest for a royal's heart with lots of common contenders. I'm down for something so light and fun from time to time (which is why I liked the previous books so much), but it kind of lost its appeal this time. The aspect I disliked the most was the reason for which the contest was held -- to serve as a distraction. And that was the dumbest political decision I've ever heard because Eadlyn and her boys? They pretty much helped shit to hit the fan.
And speaking of the boys, I barely remember them. Let me see. There was a Kile, I think. And Henri? Oh oh oh and Erik and Ean! I remembered them *self five* But there was another one I can't seem to recall -- the male fashionista -- so buzzkill. Anyway, if you thought America's love triangle was tiring, prepare for this one.
First, strip the love element because Eadlyn is mostly in love with herself and just mildly likes some boys. Now please expand the triangle aspect to a... I don't even know what to call it. You get the picture -- the "battle" for her heart is quite boring, lacks swooning and actual romance and is, implicitly, pointless. Her relationship with Hale, for instance, showed how immature the princess is instead of getting me hot and bothered.

I did like Henri and Erik though and if I were to choose I'd say Erik would be the best winner -- even though he's not actually in the contest. But we'll see how Kiera spins that one because she couldn't have just thrown him in the mix for nothing.
I also liked some other characters -- Ahren and Kaden especially. Ahren reminded me so much of Maxon's romantic self that I instantly loved him. And Kaiden proved to have such a big potential for ruling I was internally cheering for Eadlyn to drop dead and him to become the Crown Prince (with Ahren's situation and all that). He was smart and thoughtful and equally kind -- the kid is awesome.
"Don’t act like you’re better than me. I’m a prince.”
I sighed. “Yes, but I will be queen,” I corrected, sipping my coffee. I really didn’t need this right now.
“And your name will be in a history book one day, and some bored ten-year-old will memorize it for a test and then forget all about you. You have a job, just like everybody in the world. Stop acting like it makes you more or less than anyone else.”
On the other hand, I don't know what happened to America. I expected to see her feistiness once more, but all I got was a plain queen. Regardless, Maxon's still whipped, but besides being tired and stressed, he was pretty much his old self and my sappy heart was grateful for that. The end of the book leaves us in uncertainty to their future, but I hope Kiera won't break her readers' hearts so early on.
I won't be completely dead set against this book, because there were things I liked more: Eadlyn's relationship with her family, that baseball match full of joy and innocent playfulness, the light tone of the book that layered into the story even though drama was still present, and the fact that it was short and very easy to read (I finished it in like three hours or so). I smiled and laughed here and there so that has to count up for something as well.
All in all, The Heir was an okay book. But just okay. I liked it (not overly so) but at the same time it had so many flaws that bugged the hell out of me. I still believe everyone that wants to read should do it because they might feel differently than I do. Who knows? You might enjoy it more than the original trilogy but I'll stick with those for now. Or maybe the sequel will improve my opinion about Eadlyn and her story -- I just hope I won't forget all the characters by then.
ENJOY! <3

0 comentarii: