Review The Crown (The Selection #5) by Kiera Cass

Synopsis: When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.


Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.

Rating: 5/5

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance


My thoughts:

I'm gonna put it bluntly out there -- I did not like The Heir. I consider it one of my greatest literary disappointments, even if it has a relatively high rating (2.5 stars). So my expectations of The Crown were along the lines of 'please be decent, please end quick and please be the last'. Most fortunately though, The Crown brought back the love I felt for Kiera Cass's novels made of syrupy romance and dreamy sighs. Taking this into consideration, this review will resemble half an omen to this fifth installment and half a regret for what it did not come to fruition in its prequel, but only to highlight that this book exceeded my expectations and made me fall in love again with its world. 

Unlike in The Heir, I loved Eadlyn. She let go of her petty, egotistical, self-centered and vain antics in order to graciously transform into a more than capable young woman, leader and Queen. Yeah yeah, her character-development was speeded up to supersonic mode, but for once I didn't mind. She showed her thoughtfulness, her ambition, her intelligence and her strong personality. I admired the fact that she wants to do good by everyone around her and that she tries to mend her flaws. Regardless, she took a colossal departure from the stoic, stuck-up and artificial princess and became an oddly organic person, beautifully encapsulated through the integrity to her own heart and moral code. 

Unlike in The Heir, I didn't check the page count every two minutes to dreadfully discover there was still a long way to go until the finish. I was hooked and I read it easily, eager to see what's in store next. Tremendously enjoyable.

Unlike in The Heir, I could connect to this bunch of boys. Instead of 35, there were only 6 left in the picture. Each of them (and here I'm talking about the ever-wonderful Hale, Kile, Ean, Henri and Erik) became amazing in their own way and right. 

Unlike in The Heir, I was actually surprised by some revelations. Marid and Brice, especially. And Maxon shocked me with his introspective tales. 

Unlike in The Heir, there were sweet relationships truly taking root. Deep, heartfelt friendships and dynamics that somehow evolved or appeared out of the blue only to fit the bill perfectly. Hale & Eady. Hale & Ean. Kile & Eady. Erik & Henri. Henri & Eady. Josie & Eady. Erik & Eady. Brice & Eady. Aspen & Eady. 

Unlike in The Heir, I did not curse the decision to expand the series from the original trilogy. This closure, this grand second finale somehow tied up the loose ends of The One by making sure certain matters were addressed, political ones, LGBT ones, feminism ones and discriminatory ones. I finally understood that we couldn't leave things at how they were with the initial 'last book'. 

Unlike in The Heir, there was so much more of the young Maxon and America we all know. Seriously, all the glimpses into their fairy tale of a love story made my heart burst free. Maxon fretting over Mer and going borderline insane about her health was just too cute to handle. I'm glad they're happy and don't paint me foolish just because they're works of fiction, but in my mind they exist vividly and that's of the utmost importance. 

Unlike in The Heir, I wasn't constantly exhausted about the sad and ill-fated attempts at romance. This time, it all flourished naturally, because the focus was on the worthy and so a cute and amazing and awesome and lovely couple became canon. And speaking about that particular pairing, I SHIP IT.
 
Like The Heir, don't expect this book to suddenly be a complex piece of literature, because surely it is not. It fits the style of the series, so it's one for the heart. It's 100% drama and teen romance. It's light. It's quick. It's totally YA. It's a great read for a spring afternoon. It's the kind of book that has you smiling, daydreaming and relaxing. Unlike The Heir. 

Unlike The Heir, The Crown was so much better. Infinitely better. I urge you to read it and see for yourself but I have faith that you'll love it bunches.

Bye, Illea. For real now. 

ENJOY! <3

0 comentarii: