Review It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Synopsis: Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

Rating: 5/5

Genres: Fiction, Contemporary, Romance, New Adult
My thoughts:


“There is no such thing as bad people. We’re all just people who sometimes do bad things.” 

I am a mess. Torn. So, so goddamn conflicted. Broken over the what-ifs of this book. Filled with sorrow. Proud. 

I feel manipulated. Tricked. Heartbroken. Educated. Thankful. Mindfucked. 

It Ends With Us is nothing like I’ve ever read. It certainly isn’t like any other novel Colleen Hoover has written. The word ‘DIFFERENT’ is just etched into its very essence. I feel like Colleen put part of her story and her soul on a silver platter for us to observe and draw our own conclusions from it and this also became evident within the Author’s Note which, by the way, I wholeheartedly encourage you to read. Hell, no. Scratch that. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ IT ENDS WITH US. Not because of the hype. Not because of the romance. Not because of Colleen’s awesome writing skills. 

But because of the message. 

I cannot guarantee you’ll love it. I’m definitely far from loving it and I don’t even think it’s Colleen’s best work. This is the second book that’s ever made me feel the ‘I-love-it-but-I-hate-it’ vibes, the first being Dusty. I rated that one with 3 stars because based on my logic 1 star equals hate and 5 stars equate to love so the average of 3 will do. But I rated IEWU with a full 5 stars rating because if there’s one word to describe this book, then it’s EMPOWERING. And WOMEN EMPOWERMENT deserves 5 stars any given day. Plus, its unraveling is perfect.

Without being spoilery, I will say this: this book is heavy. This book knifes your heart and twists it until you bleed all your pre-conceived ideas about certain topics straight out the window. I loved Lily. I loved Ryle. But most of all, I loved Lily & Ryle. Their relationship is so complex and layered and I was overwhelmed with feelings at just how perfect they were together. I laughed, I smiled, I felt my heart catch wings and head into the clouds. And then I cried buckets. Then there’s Atlas, which I did not fall in love with, but he just fit the puzzle perfectly and after a while I found him so lovable as well. And yes, I loved Lily & Atlas too. They were like a weak but brilliant rainbow after a storm.

“In the future . . . if by some miracle you ever find yourself in the position to fall in love again . . . fall in love with me.” 

Now, now, don’t rush and believe this is some love triangle. I just feel evil now and I will say that YOU HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA MUHAHA. *sobs*

I’m not saying more because you should definitely head in blind with this one, as I did. Honorary mentions are needed, however: Alyssa, I swear, she’s the best friend I could possibly imagine; I cannot comprehend how difficult it must have been to say and do some things considering the unique dynamics of her with the other characters; Marshall was another great addition that simply showed how easily men can empower women too; and Lily’s mother is a glorious character. 

And I will share this: there was one particular scene that left me crying like there’s no tomorrow. The last hospital scene.That beautiful and so very ugly and just 100% gut-wrenching scene. Where decisions were made in the hopes of a better future. Where letting go was worth the love you’ve built piece by piece. Where the cycle of history stopped. Where I had to put the book down and start a sobfest. It gutted me, completely and utterly gutted me. 

“And as hard as this choice is, we break the pattern before the pattern breaks us.” 

I read this book in 5 hours. I finished it 24 hours ago. I still can’t stop thinking about it and my stomach is still churning like ashes have taken residence there. I’m an emotional mess. I feel unsatisfied, yet content. Enraged, yet peaceful. This book shows the good, the bad, the in-between. It shows life and love and hatred. It shows how love can become a poison. It shows how love can shackle and hurt, but also save and heal. Honestly, it blew my mind. It doesn’t matter that it made me uncomfortable or that it made me wish things ended up differently. This story needed to exist exactly as it is no matter how broken my heart feels. It is brave and bold.

It’s an eye-opener. I realized upon reading that I might have been indifferent or dismissive or downright judgmental regarding some statistics (this sounds weird, I know, but you’ll get it once you read). I never fully grasped some scenarios or some perspectives, but It Ends With Us changed that. It changed me, undoubtedly. 

And for that, thank you, Colleen. Thank you, Lily. Thank you for making me a better person. 


2 comentarii:

  1. I've recently read It ends with us and it was absolutely amazing! I feel like Colleen thought me a lot of things and by learning I feel like I've grown a little. I'm glad that you felt the same :)

  2. ByBy spunea...

    OMG, this book <3 Eu cred ca e cea mai buna de pana acum :D